Pages

Thursday, February 27, 2014

One Fish, Two Fish, Orange Fish and a slightly off-white one with dark coloring that resembles a moustache.

My fish came in this week. I've got 3 Gold Fish to work with - two have names. Most of the related research I've seen involves much larger fish like catfish. They've got a relatively large tank to live in, but no privacy. I put a tray in front of the tank to at least give them privacy from the human activity going on in the lab for now. This should extend their life and comfort. I also have a small bowl I'm going to be using to transfer then to while I attempt to collect their fecal matter. I'm hoping the excitement of moving into a new environment will encourage to cooperate and make my collection easier. I've seen some overly complex methods of collection in my research. I'll begin with simply using a net or screen hanging down to catch it. I'm also wondering if I could feed them something that would make the consistency of their fecal matter more conducive to collection.






It's interesting to note that some Lactobacillus species naturally produce bacteriocins that are harmful to bacteria like MRSA.

No comments:

Post a Comment