Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Fish food for preserving fish for food.

My star experimental fish 'Beck' died over spring break. Beck was going to be the fish that received the L. bacillus and fructooligosaccharide FOS. I noticed that the fish named 'Stache' is relatively fast and aggressive when feeding. Maybe Beck starved because of Stache. This won't matter because Beck's successor "Snowball II" will go to a separate tank. At the moment I'll be performing the experiment as follows:

Main tank:
Fish1 - Control - standard fish food
Fish2 - Stache - standard fish food


Surplus fish go here.

Secondary tank: with water and rock from main tank.
Fish3 - ET - standard fish food and L. Bacillus

Tertiary tank: with water and rock from main tank.
Snowball II - standard fish food plus enriched food with L. Bacillus and FOS.
Probably Lactobacillus casei shirota because that grew the best in my MRS plates.

I might use 'Stache' to test larger amounts of FOS if I can get another bowl/tank.
Or, I might try a different species of Lactobacillus.

All of the fish will be receiving the standard fish food. However, ET and Snowball II will be fed additional gelatin confections. I am making these by mixing gelatin with FOS and Lactobacillus and letting it cool. It can be cut into small pieces as needed. I need to keep the water in the mixture warm, but not too warm; I don't want to kill off the probiotics.


No comments:

Post a Comment