Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2014

First week of modifed feeding

This week I began feeding one of my experimental fish Lacto bacillus Casei Shirota. I'm starting with fish food flakes by coating them with growth from a MRS agar plate. I also tried coating them with TSB, but the flakes wilted quickly on contact with liquid.

I wanted to suspend the bacteria within a gel, so I cooked up some gelatin and embedded some bacteria within and on top; neither survived to the next day. Sure, they wouldn't grow on the gelatin, but I figured they'd last a bit longer. Maybe I could add some sugar to the mix. Embedding them in the gel might help deliver them into the fish effectively without loss into the water. If that doesn't work I'll try coating floating pellets which might absorb inoculated TSB.

I transferred the two control fish (I got an extra for free) into a smaller tank that has a similar environment to the other two tanks. I was advised this would be better than keeping them in the large tank. I wish I could keep them all in larger tanks so they could feel more comfortable and live longer, but I don't have that option at the moment.

The two control fish are in the leftmost tank. The large tank in the bank is out of commission. Surprisingly, it was pretty clean without a filter.


No comments:

Post a Comment