Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

No clear signs yet.

I've been feeding the experimental fish Lactobacilli for a few weeks now. There has been no sign of live Lactobacilli in their fecal matter. I've read that this is also the case commonly in human studies of lactobacilli consumption. The populations are better assessed directly from fluid in the intestines. I'd have to dissect the fish, which I'm opposed to unless they've already died. I could change my goal a bit and see if lactobacilli supplementation affects the concentration of the microbes I commonly find in their fecal matter. I'd have to consider the bacteria that are living within the tank water that have come from other sources however.

I did have some promising colonies today (Thursday) after looking at the morphology. There were a variety of nicely isolated colonies of varying color, elevation etc. A few resembled the Lactobacillus casei shirota I began with. I ID'd them as gram positive rods with proportions also similar to my strain. We'll see tomorrow after the lactose and other tests.

Here's an example of a gram Positive (short)rod I found (not lactobacillus). I like the honeycomb effect that is created as they chain together.






No comments:

Post a Comment