Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Possible results in the final hour.

I got some promising results from my motility and thioglycollate tests. Both tests results from the experimental fish's resembled those of the positive lactobacillus casei which I use. I'm going to retest the glucose and lactose because although they tested positive for acid production, there was not a positive CO2 that I could see. The colonies also looked similar to my L. casei, but I'll have to stain those tomorrow. I change the tank water out twice a week (partially) and condition it once a week. I also use a large pipette to remove any debris I see (food, feces etc.). I do this equally, yet the experimental fish's tank always goes cloudy far faster than the others. Maybe the food is affecting his digestion? I also tested 3 concentrations of fructooligosaccharides in TSA with L. casei shirota. I'll use the photospectrometer tomorrow to see how significant the absorbance at 600nm (optimum wavelength my bacteria absorb theoretically) differs. I've done this once before with control versus an arbitrary amount and it was shown to increase the turbidity and absorbance. The pictures below show my Lactobacillus thioglycollate results on the right, which I'll use to compare to the potential sample from my experimental fish. The tube on the left is some other unknown bacteria that seems to be aerotolerant. Ignore that one - that was one I found previously which was a gram positive catalase positive rod.





No comments:

Post a Comment